Good Evening Readers, Welcome Back to Skye Alexandra House Newsletter. It is the month of May, when the days become warmer and brighter. I hope you all had an excellent April and are excited for what’s to come.
Updates/What have we been up to?
• Skye Alexandra House CSE training taster day @ Kingsdale Secondary School on Tuesday 7th June 10:30am – 12:30pm
(This is aimed at professionals in social care, teachers, nurses/doctors, youth workers, community leaders, churches and all those who work with young people)
• This taster day will be to promote our two-child sexual exploitation-training programme, which will be delivered by those who were once victims of CSE. This training will help you identify signs; risk factors as well as learning what the victim could currently be experiencing and how to ensure you are providing the correct support.
• To Register Email [email protected] with your full name, profession and name of company.
• Friday 20th May 2016: Skye Alexandra House will be taking part in VIACOM via-community day. The front and back garden will be getting done by employees of VIACOM – home to MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount and BET.
LABELS & SELF-FULFILLING PROPHECY
Does everyone know what these two things are? Yes? No?
In relation to each other labels and self-fulfilling prophecy are both two things we should all be aware of. But before I get into all of that, I will start by explaining what each is:
Labels– ‘labeling theory,’ is the theory of how the self-identity of individuals may be determined or influenced by the terms used to describe or classify them.
Self – Fulfilling Prophecy – A ‘prophecy ‘in which you become something you are told. For example, if you are told you’re ignorant, evil and stupid, you will grow up that way because you believed it.
I understood this topic when explained to me in a scenario. So, we grow up from a young age being labeled ‘ you are worthless, you will never become anything.’ ‘You are always late to everything, you will never be on time.’ Etc etc
The labels that we say to our friends, family, children, and colleagues we say them meaninglessly but words are powerful and words hold a lot of meaning in people’s lives.
Even though we shrug it off and act like it doesn’t affect us hearing those negative words over our lives, subconsciously those labels play a big role. Every time you make a mistake, fail at something in life, those labels come into play. You tell yourself ‘see, it’s because I’m worthless. I’m never going to become anything.’ ‘I’ll be late to this interview because I’m always late”
This becomes a cycle and as much as we try to escape it, every failure supports the statement. Supports the negative belief.
I dislike labels and I hate to see people label others.
Parents with children, we often hear parents say ‘he/she is so naughty’ ‘he/she will be like this when they are older.’ Let’s stop putting negative thoughts into our children’s minds, our friends, colleagues, and neighbors. Lets replace negative labels with positive attributes.
This may sound trivial to you but it very much exists, research online ‘ self-fulfilling prophecies’
Now, some of you reading this may be feeling overwhelmed, as you have experienced negative labeling. It is not the end of the world; do not let those labels become self-fulfilling prophecies.
Growing up in secondary school, I was bullied throughout; I was told a lot of negative things about myself. But with age, knowledge, & love I learned to love myself and to turn all of those negatives into a positive. My motivation for a while became ‘I will prove to them and myself, I am not all those negative labels I was called.’
It is time we become aware of the effects our language and words can have. It starts with awareness and ends with a change.
Challenge of the Month
This month will be challenge. In line with our Hot Topic of: Labels and Self-fulfilling prophecies, some of us may have been subject to this. Some of us may use labels on others everyday. But we want to change that. For 14 days, I want us all to ‘LABEL’ ourselves with something positive. Every morning look in the mirror and tell yourself something good. ‘I will have a great day at work today & make a change.’ ‘I will finally learn how to cook that dish I have always wanted.’ ‘I look really lovely today in my white blouse’
Lets spark Self-Love into existence, 14-Day Challenge, of Self-Love & Positivity.
Start Today! ☺
In The News
• Council leader implores businesses to help protect Redbridge children from Sexual Exploitation
• Police ‘too slow’ to recognise exploitation of girls in Bristol
• Jamaica has one of the highest rates of child sex abuse in the world, but the subject is rarely spoken of. Watch ‘Jamaica’s silent Children’ http://bit.ly/1PPmg82
• Three teen girls from East London college disappear after planning to ‘go away together’ http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/three-teen-girls-same-east-7889998
• Missing young girl In Lewisham http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/14467420._High_risk__teenage_girl_missing_from_Lewisham/
We have not received any questions this month to feature in the newsletter, please continue to email in any questions you have to –[email protected]
Take advantage of our support with your queries & questions.