Your Health/Mental Wellbeing – Looking after you.
Looking after yourself is so important, we spend so much time focusing on others, our kids, parents, friends, work, school and rarely focus on ourselves. Our Mental and Psychological wellbeing is something we take for granted and it’s not until crisis point when we take action.
Managing your stress levels and allowing yourself some ‘me’ time is a recipe for a healthy you. Whether it is work commitments, family, relationship, school, Uni… etc etc… It is always vital to understand the importance of looking after yourself.
As some may know, from a previous newsletter, I have just began a new role training as a Psychological wellbeing Practioner, which means providing cognitive behavioral therapy based interventions to those suffering with common mental health problems. I’ve acquired a lot of knowledge already, and this month will be sharing some tips on how to manage stress and look after your health/mental wellbeing.
6 Ways to manage Stress:
1. Keep a positive realistic attitude, – we can’t control every situation, but we can control how we respond to it. How you think about a situation and event will effect how you feel & behave.
2. Say No, when you Can. – If something is not manageable for you, say NO. Don’t take things on which will add to your stress levels.
3. Make time for hobbies and Interests – sometimes we become so consumed with life, we forget to do the things we enjoy!
4. Stand up for yourself – be polite, respectful when sharing your feelings and beliefs. Instead of becoming angry or defensive.
5. Eat better. – Stay away from foods with too much sugar. Try and consume a balanced diet of fruit, veg & protein.
6. Don’t overthink situations. – Ask yourself what you can do/change about a situation. Then weigh up the pros and cons and take action if you can.
We all have stress in life, because life isn’t something we control. But when stress does arise, are we managing that stress or is it managing you?
As cliché as this will sound – Life is too short, enjoy it! Because the next day promises nothing!